Bacon-Wrapped Artichokes (Fondi di Carciofi)
These artichoke hearts wrapped in bacon were inspired by cicheti served at Hosteria Vite Rossa in Venice’s Mestre area. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Dana Bowen’s story Good and Plenty.
- 2 (14-oz.) jars artichoke hearts
- 8 slices bacon, halved crosswise
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Pour oil to a depth of 2-inches in a 6-qt. Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Place each artichoke heart on one end of a bacon slice, sprinkle with some of the Parmesan and pepper, and roll up; secure with a toothpick. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain.