Free-Range Turkey with Foie Gras Stuffing
Guy Savoy not only stuffs his turkey with foie gras; he also uses super-premium poulet de bresse, a special chicken raised according to strict government controls in Bour-en-Bresse, France, for the stuffing’s chicken mousse. A high-quality free-range chicken is an adequate substitute.
For the Stuffing
- 10-12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat, cartilage, and tendons
- 8-10 oz. fresh foie gras
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
For the Turkey
- 1 (8-10-lb.) free-range turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb. butter, softened
- 2 cups chicken stock
- For the stuffing: Cut chicken into large pieces, transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled. Cut foie gras into 1” cubes, transfer to a medium bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Put chicken and salt into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to a finely ground paste. Add egg whites, and pulse until well combined. With machine running, gradually add cream, processing just until all cream has been added and mixture is smooth. Transfer to bowl with chilled foie gras, and gently fold together, using a rubber spatula. Cover, and refrigerate stuffing until chilled.
- For the turkey: Rinse turkey, pat dry with paper towels, and liberally season, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Spoon stuffing into turkey cavity; then sew cavity shut, and truss turkey using a trussing needle and kitchen twine. Rub butter all over bird; then transfer to a rack set in a large, heavy roasting pan.
- Set oven rack in lower third of oven. Put turkey in oven and set oven to 200°. After 30 minutes, increase heat by 50°, and baste turkey with melted butter in roasting pan. Continue increasing oven temperature by 50° increments and basting every 30 minutes, for a total roasting time of 1 1⁄2 hours; then increase oven temperature by 25° (to 375°), baste, and roast until bird is golden brown and the internal temperature of the stuffing registers 160°, 1 1⁄2 – 2 hours.
- Transfer turkey to a platter and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, drain off excess butter from roasting pan, put pan on top of stove, add stock, and cook (use 2 burners if necessary) over medium heat, scraping browned bits stuck to bottom of roasting pan with a wooden spoon, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and keep warm. Untruss turkey, transfer stuffing to a serving dish, and carve turkey. Serve turkey and stuffing with sauce.