Do not rinse the chao mian noodles after you cook them; the starch on the surface helps them ”grab” the garlic flavor. Serve them with Red-Cooked Pork, if you like.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 1 lb. fresh chao mian-style wheat noodles
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 6-8 cloves minced and peeled garlic
- 2 tsp. Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add wheat noodles and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves and stir-fry until fragrant and soft, about 30 seconds. Drain noodles, then immediately add to wok. Add soy sauce and oyster sauce and season with a little salt. Toss noodles in wok until mixed well and hot but not fried, 1-1 1⁄2 minutes.