This recipe calls for preserved ginger, which is fresh ginger that has been mellowed in sugar syrup.
Ginger Ice Cream
The spiciness of the ginger adds some heat to this cool ice cream.
Yield: makes 1 Quart
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup preserved ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ginger syrup
- Beat together eggs, half-and-half, honey, salt, and vanilla extract in the top of a double boiler. Add preserved ginger to mixture along with ginger syrup. Cook over simmering water over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- For garnish, brush melted chocolate on the underside of a firm, clean, flexible leaf (such as banana or ivy); refrigerate until set; and peel away leaf.