Ginger Ice Cream
The spiciness of the ginger adds some heat to this cool ice cream.
Yield: makes 1 Quart
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup preserved ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ginger syrup
- Beat together eggs, half-and-half, honey, salt, and vanilla extract in the top of a double boiler. Add preserved ginger to mixture along with ginger syrup. Cook over simmering water over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- For garnish, brush melted chocolate on the underside of a firm, clean, flexible leaf (such as banana or ivy); refrigerate until set; and peel away leaf.