Mâche and Egg Salad
Sugar-sweet green radicchio zuccherino is found only in Istria and northeastern Italy; a good substitute is mache (lamb’s lettuce). Bastianich adds garlic to this salad in thick slices so it can be picked out by the garlic-shy. ”Chop it fine if you don’t mind eating garlic,” she adds.
- 6 cups mâche or radicchio zuccherino
- 3 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- Put lettuce and garlic in a salad bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, then toss with extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add eggs, then toss gently one more time. Adjust seasoning if necessary.