Open-Face Herring Sandwiches
This open-faced herring sandwich is traditional fare on the Russian table.
Yield: serves 4
- 8 slices baguette
- 8 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 16 headless small kippered herring
- 4 cornichon, halved
- 16-18 pitted green olives, preferably stuffed with slivers of garlic
- Spread baguette slices liberally with butter. Top each slice with a piece of green leaf lettuce; arrange slices on a platter.
- Place 2 herring on top of each slice. Top each open-face sandwich with a halved cornichon. Scatter green olives over the top of the sandwiches. Serve promptly.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.