We adapted this recipe from one used at The Fort in Denver, Colorado, which specializes in fine game, meats, and steaks.
For the Herb Butter
- 6 tbsp. softened butter
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Tenderloin
- 2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. citric acid
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (8-oz.) bison filets, each about 1 1⁄2" thick
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
For the herb butter: Mix together butter, garlic, tarragon, thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill slightly.
For the tenderloin: Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together salt, citric acid, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Season filets with salt mixture to taste. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot. Add filets and sear, 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and cook, about 6 minutes for rare and 8 minutes for medium rare. Transfer filets to four plates and top each with a dollop of herb butter.