Pandan-Coconut Ice Cream
Often used in Thai desserts, pandan leaf lends a warm, nutty, sweet flavor to this coconut ice cream.
Yield: makes About 1 Pint
- 1 (14-oz.) can coconut milk (not light or reduced-fat)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 frozen pandan leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Bring coconut milk, milk, cream, coconut, sugar, and salt to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pandan leaves; cover and set aside for 1 hour. Discard pandan leaves. Stir in vanilla; cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the surface of the custard. Chill custard completely.
- Pour custard into an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer's instructions until churned and thick. Transfer to an airtight storage container; freeze until set, at least 4 hours.