Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
A creamy peanut butter swirl suspended in strawberry- and jam-enriched ice cream turns the classic peanut butter and jelly on its head.
Yield: makes ABOUT 1 1/2 QUARTS
- 2 cups roughly chopped strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 tbsp. strawberry liqueur, such as Crème de Fraise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Jif, Skippy, or Peter Pan (not natural peanut butter)
- Mix strawberries, preserves, and liqueur in a bowl. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk sugar and yolks in a 4-qt. saucepan until smooth. Add milk and cream and stir until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a large bowl. Whisk in vanilla and strawberry mixture; cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the surface of the custard. Chill custard completely.
- Pour custard into an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer's instructions until churned and thick. Whisk peanut butter and 2½ tbsp. hot water in a bowl into a slightly thick sauce. Alternate layers of ice cream and peanut butter sauce in an airtight storage container. Freeze until set, at least 4 hours.