Capers, tuna, and anchovies balance the heat in these small, stuffed cherry peppers. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Dana Bowen’s story Good and Plenty.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 5 oz. canned tuna in olive oil, drained
- 8 anchovies in oil, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. capers, minced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- (1) 32 oz. jar red, hot cherry peppers, drained, rinsed, and stemmed (jar reserved)
- Finely chop tuna and anchovies; mix with 1⁄3 cup oil, bread crumbs, capers, parsley, and salt and pepper in a bowl; stuff each pepper with tuna mixture. Transfer to reserved jar; pour remaining oil over peppers. Chill for at least 8 hours to marinate.