Périgord-Style Stuffed Eggs
Serve these eggs as an hors d'oeuvre, a first course, or with a salad for an easy lunch.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped smoked ham
- 2 tbsp. walnut oil
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. goose or duck fat, or vegetable oil
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
- Remove yolks from hard-cooked eggs and place them in a small bowl. Mash yolks with a fork, stir in ham, walnut oil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon yolk mixture into hard-cooked whites, rounding and smoothing mixture as you go.
- Heat fat or oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip stuffed eggs into beaten egg white, then place in pan, stuffed side down, and fry, turning once, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels, transfer to a platter, and serve.