Based on the classic French caramelized-onion tart with olives and anchovies, these little two-bite hors d’oeuvres pack a flavorful punch.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 2 large red onions, halved length-wise and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 salt-cured black olives, pitted and minced
- 2 (9″ x 11″) sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 oil-packed anchovy filets, drained, cut into 4 slivers each
- Minced chives or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add thyme and onions and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 30 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add sugar and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until caramelized, 12–15 minutes. Stir in olives, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°. Roll out puff pastry to 1⁄8” thickness. Using a 2 1⁄2” cookie cutter, cut out 16 circles from each sheet. Transfer pastry circles to 2 parchment paper—lined baking sheets and prick each circle all over with tines of a fork. Cover circles with a sheet of parchment and another baking sheet; bake until light golden brown, 15–18 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, 2–3 minutes more. Transfer circles to a large serving platter, spoon about 1 tsp. onion mixture over each, and top with a sliver of anchovy. Garnish with chives.