Rocky Road Brownies
This recipe, from cookbook author Alice Medrich, appeared in our 2012 Cookie Advent Calendar. Alice says: “When developing this recipe for my cookbook Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies, I really wanted something whimsical, and a bit over-the-top, that would delight a child as well as the most jaded sophisticate. Voila! A cakey brownie loaded with yummy: gooey caramels and marshmallows, crunchy nuts, and melty shards of chocolate. Yes, these are naughty—in the nicest possible way!”
- 8 tsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 oz. chewy caramels, such as Werther’s
- 3 oz. milk chocolate, broken into small shards or chunks
- 1 cup roughly broken walnuts
- 5 oz. large marshmallows, quartered
- Heat oven to 350°. Line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper and grease; set aside. Combine butter and unsweetened chocolate in a bowl and microwave until melted; set aside. In a bowl, beat sugar and eggs on medium-high speed of a mixer until thickened and tripled in volume. Add melted chocolate, and then add flour, baking powder, and salt; beat until just combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan, and smooth with a rubber spatula; sprinkle evenly with caramels, milk chocolate, and walnuts. Bake 25 minutes, then sprinkle marshmallows evenly over the top. Continue to bake until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes more.