Sausages with Vegetables
We enjoyed this featured dish at the Agriturismo de Carvalho in Friuli.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 thinly sliced, peeled small yellow onion
- 1 thinly sliced, peeled carrot
- 1 thinly sliced celery stalk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 small savoy cabbage, shredded
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 1 cup tocai or other dry white Friuli wine
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then remove and discard.
- Add yellow onion, carrot, celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft, 5-10 minutes. Add shredded cabbage to skillet and cook until wilted.
- Add Italian sausages and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tocai, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium, and cook until liquid has been absorbed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with soft Polente or, if you wish, with sliced boiled potatoes.