We enjoyed this featured dish at the Agriturismo de Carvalho in Friuli.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 thinly sliced, peeled small yellow onion
- 1 thinly sliced, peeled carrot
- 1 thinly sliced celery stalk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 small savoy cabbage, shredded
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 1 cup tocai or other dry white Friuli wine
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then remove and discard.
Add yellow onion, carrot, celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft, 5-10 minutes. Add shredded cabbage to skillet and cook until wilted.
Add Italian sausages and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tocai, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium, and cook until liquid has been absorbed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve with soft Polente or, if you wish, with sliced boiled potatoes.