Chef Seppi Rengli created this dish while at New York’s Sea Grill restaurant, using lemongrass in the marinade, then skewering the shrimp with the stalks to add extra flavor.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet sake wine (mirin)
- 1⁄4 cup minced inner stalk lemongrass
- 1 tbsp. Indonesian chile paste
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 20 jumbo shrimp (about 2 lbs.)
- 20 thin stalk ends lemongrass (about 6 whole stalks)
- Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, sake, lemongrass, chile paste, ginger, coriander, garlic, and sugar in a 9″ × 12″ glass dish. Peel and devein shrimp, and add to marinade. Turn to coat well, and refrigerate 3–4 hours.
- Cut lemongrass stalks into 3″ pieces and skewer shrimp from head to tail, in the form of a “C”. Grill on a preheated grill, or grill pan on the stove for 2 minutes on each side, then brush with marinade.