Soupe Crasse (Cheese and Bread Soup)
Typically made with day-old bread or breadsticks during the holidays, this northern Italian specialty comes out like a luscious casserole of melted cheese and bread.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 10 oz. Italian breadsticks
- 1 lb. Taleggio cheese, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- Bring stock to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat. Grease bottom of a 3-qt. high-sided skillet with 1 tbsp. butter. Break breadsticks into 2 1⁄2" pieces. Put 1 layer breadsticks in skillet. Cover breadsticks with layer of cheese. Continue layering breadsticks and cheese; ladle stock over breadsticks one ladleful at a time and heat skillet over low heat. Bring to a simmer; cook, without stirring, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook, until onions are soft, 8-10 minutes. Set a fine sieve over a small bowl. Strain butter, pressing onions with back of a spoon; discard onions. Drizzle butter over soup; continue cooking for 10 more minutes. To serve, spoon onto serving plates.