Southern-Style Corn Pudding
Toasted bread adds texture and body to this dish, while a touch of sugar imparts a Southern flavor.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 cups white bread, torn into 2" pieces
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 lb. Smithfield ham, sliced into ribbons
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 3-4 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (cut from about 5 ears)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread in a baking dish and mix in onion and ham. Drizzle in butter and toast in oven 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and cream in a medium bowl. Mix in corn, salt, pepper, and sugar; pour over bread mixture. Bake until set and golden, 30-40 minutes.