(Sopa de Calabacin y Coliflor con Camarones)
Zucchini or other summer squash may be substituted for pattypan squash.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb. small yellow pattypan squash, trimmed and quartered
- 1⁄2 lb. cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, tail shells intact, and deveined
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and half the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add squash and cauliflower, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, 6–8 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer soup until vegetables are very soft, 15–20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat cream in a small pot over medium heat until warm.
- Season soup to taste with salt, then, working in batches, purée in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot over lowest heat. Whisk in warm cream. Add nutmeg and season to taste with salt.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil, then shrimp, and sauté until lightly colored on each side and just cooked through, 20-30 seconds per side. Sprinkle remaining garlic and parsley over shrimp and toss quickly. Remove skillet from heat and season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between 4 shallow soup bowls and add3 shrimp to each bowl of soup with a sprig of parsley and an edible flower or two, if you like.