Stuffed Oysters (Ostrice Ripiene)
This is a simple way to prepare these tasty bivalves.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and minced
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh tarragon leaves
- 5 tbsp. fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oysters (such as blue points, malpeques, or kumamotos) on the half shell
- Set rack in the top third of the oven, then preheat the broiler. Combine celery, butter, tarragon, and 3 tbsp. of the bread crumbs in a medium bowl. Mix into a rough paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Loosen oysters from their shells with a paring knife. Smear about 1⁄2 tbsp. bread crumb mixture on each oyster, then sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp. bread crumbs on top.
- Arrange oysters on a baking sheet. Place in oven and broil until bread crumb topping is browned, about 2 minutes.