Swedish Venison Burgers
Loaded with capers, pickles and beets, this recipe is a Swedish classic.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. ground venison or beef
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- 5 Tbsp. finely chopped pickled red beets, plus 2 tbsp.juice
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 Tbsp. capers, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. dark beer
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 2 tbsp. diced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a bowl, combine the venison, bread crumbs, beets with their juice, pickles, capers, beer, salt, pepper, eggs, garlic, onions, and diced butter; mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 8 portions and form 1"-thick patties.
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the patties; cook, flipping once, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Wipe out skillet; repeat with remaining butter and patties. Sprinkle burgers with the parsley.