Chef Yossi Elad makes this spicy pita sandwich at Machneyuda, his restaurant in Jerusalem.
Yield: serves 2
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 4 oz. sweetbreads, cleaned, blanched, pressed, and cut into 1″ chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cups Greek-style yogurt
- 2 10″ pita
- Chopped amba, to taste
- Roughly chopped preserved lemons, to taste
- ½ jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5–6 minutes. Add turmeric and cumin, and cook, stirring, until onions begin to caramelize, 2–3 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add sweetbreads to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes. Return onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until onions are caramelized and sweetbreads are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, spread yogurt on each pita, then top with amba and lemons. Add sweetbreads and onions, and top with jalapeño.