Chef Yossi Elad makes this spicy pita sandwich at Machneyuda, his restaurant in Jerusalem. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with chefs Tom Colicchio and Sisha Ortuzar's article Chef's Special.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 4 oz. sweetbreads, cleaned, blanched, pressed, and cut into 1″ chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cups Greek-style yogurt
- 2 10″ pita
- Chopped amba, to taste
- Roughly chopped preserved lemons, to taste
- ½ jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5–6 minutes. Add turmeric and cumin, and cook, stirring, until onions begin to caramelize, 2–3 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add sweetbreads to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes. Return onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until onions are caramelized and sweetbreads are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
To serve, spread yogurt on each pita, then top with amba and lemons. Add sweetbreads and onions, and top with jalapeño.