Make these delightful sandwiches using leftover roast beef and chicken, and then slather the bread—most tearooms remove the crusts—with freshly made butter.
Slathered with high-fat European-style butter, make these delightful sandwiches using leftover roast beef or chicken and crisp, seedless cucumbers.
Yield: makes 12
- 24 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed if desired
- 6–9 tbsp. salted European-style high-hat butter; softened
- 6–8 oz. cold roast chicken, sliced
- 6–7 oz. cold roast beef, sliced
- 1⁄2 seedless cucumber, sliced
- For the chicken sandwich: Butter slices of bread on on side. Lay one-quarter of the sliced chicken on top of the butter on each of 4 bread slices. Top sandwiches with remaining slices of bread, buttered side down. Cut sandwiches in half before serving.
- For the roast beef sandwiches: Butter slices of bread on one side, the assemble and cut the sandwiches as above in step 1, using the sliced roast beef instead.
- For the cucumber sandwich: Butter slices of bread on one side, then assemble and cut sandwiches as above in step 1, using cucumbers instead.