This pickle-laden roast beef sandwich is said to be New York senator Chuck Schumer’s favorite custom-made order from the Subway sandwich chain.This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with author Daniel Pinkwater’s article Say My Name.
- 1 (6″) crusty Italian roll
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 3 slices roast beef
- 1 ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup drained dill pickle slices
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup drained banana pepper slices
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeños
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Open loaf and spread mayonnaise on bottom half and mustard on top. On bottom half, layer roast beef, tomato, pickles, onion, banana peppers, and jalapeños. Season with salt and pepper, and cover with top half.