The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in Columbus, Ohio, has some of the most amazing flavors around, but they all start with one simple base. This recipe, which first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Molly O’Neill’s story Here’s the Scoop calls for both cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate.
FOR THE ICE CREAM BASE:
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- Make the ice cream: In a bowl, stir together 1⁄4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in 1⁄4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Make the chocolate sauce: Bring cocoa, brewed coffee, and sugar to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate.
- Stir sauce into ice cream base. Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.