Browning curry powder intensifies its flavor and color and is recommended for this recipe.
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 whole shallots, peeled
- 2 tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 (14-oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 (16-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 lb. spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
- Parboil cauliflower in a large pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Repeat process with potatoes. Set both aside.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, apples, garlic, shallots, and ginger, and cook until onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture turns dark brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, chickpeas, cauliflower, potatoes, and 1⁄2 cup water. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Add spinach, cover, and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Serve warm over rice with condiments such as raisins, flaked coconut, chopped cilantro, and toasted cashews.