Browning curry powder intensifies its flavor and color and is recommended for this recipe.
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 whole shallots, peeled
- 2 tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 (14-oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 (16-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 lb. spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
Parboil cauliflower in a large pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Repeat process with potatoes. Set both aside.
Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, apples, garlic, shallots, and ginger, and cook until onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
Add curry powder and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture turns dark brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook another 2 minutes.
Add coconut milk, chickpeas, cauliflower, potatoes, and 1⁄2 cup water. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Add spinach, cover, and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Serve warm over rice with condiments such as raisins, flaked coconut, chopped cilantro, and toasted cashews.