Warm Chanterelle and Pancetta Salad
While foraging for wild mushrooms can be fun, many of these same wild mushrooms are now being cultivated in warehouses across the country, making them accessible year-round, for use in salads like this one.
- 1⁄4 lb. pancetta, diced
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb. chanterelles, trimmed and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 7 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 large handfuls of mixed greens (frisée, arugula, or bibb lettuce)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pancetta in a medium sauté pan over low heat until crisp, about 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a large bowl. Pour off fat from pan (a thin film will remain). Increase heat to medium, add shallots to pan, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high; add chanterelles and pine nuts, and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl with pancetta.
- In the same pan, warm olive oil over medium heat, then whisk in lemon juice and vinegar and heat through, scraping up the flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add mixed greens to bowl with pancetta, chanterelles, and shallots. Add the warm vinaigrette and toss well. Divide among four plates and season with pepper.