Zucchine Ripiene (Stuffed Zucchini)
Zucchini forms the base of many cicheti, including this one, stuffed with prosciutto, tomatoes, and cheese.
Yield: serves 6
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 slice white sandwich bread
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2″ lengths
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup canned whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz. prosciutto, minced
- 1 oz. pancetta, minced
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil
- Heat oven to 400°. In a bowl, pour milk over bread; soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread to drain milk; discard milk. Return bread to bowl.
- Using a melon baller, hollow out zucchini pieces, leaving 1⁄4″ walls, to form "cups"; season insides with salt and pepper. Stir together tomatoes, 2 tbsp. oil, chile flakes, garlic, and salt and pepper in a bowl; set sauce aside.
- Mix bread with prosciutto, pancetta, Parmesan, parsley, egg, and salt and pepper. Stuff mixture evenly among zucchini cups. Heat remaining oil and butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add cups; cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 2-4 minutes. Transfer cups, stuffing side up, to a 9″ x 9″ baking dish; pour sauce over and around cups. Bake until zucchini is tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.