Sautéed garlic and onion, plus a little bit of salt, add a savory note to this sweet-tart relish, which gets its body from the natural pectin in the poached, puréed cranberries. A twist on Thanksgiving's traditional cranberry sauce, the recipe was given to us by Michael Sandoval, executive chef of Bouchon Bistro in Yountville, California. His staff prepares it as part of the restaurant's annual Thanksgiving meal for veterans and their families. This recipe first appeared in our November 2014 issue with the story Holiday for the Heroes.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh or frozen and defrosted cranberries
- 2 sweet apples, such as Red Delicious, cored, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste