Calamari with Chorizo and Artichokes
Squid and artichokes are sautéed in the paprika-laced drippings of chorizo.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. cured Spanish chorizo, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 whole calamari, cleaned, tentacles reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, defrosted frozen quarters or whole canned, drained and halved
- 1 orange, zested, supremed, and cut into 1/4" pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and garlic; cook until golden, 3–4 minutes. Divide between 4 plates; keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to pan and return to medium-high heat. Pat calamari and tentacles dry using paper towels and season with salt and pepper and cook, flipping once, until browned and slightly curled, 4–6 minutes; divide between plates. Add artichokes, salt, and pepper to pan; cook until browned, 3–4 minutes, and divide between plates. Garnish with chopped orange and zest.