Endive and Roquefort Salad with Smoked Pepper Jelly and Hazelnuts
Green beans, herbs, endives, and pears are dressed in a hazelnut-sherry vinaigrette, and laced with blue cheese and piquant pepper jelly in this unexpected salad.
Yield: serves 6
For the Smoked Pepper Jelly
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 sheet gelatin
For the Hazelnut-Sherry Dressing and Salad
- 3 tbsp. hazelnut oil
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 12 oz. green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup tender celery leaves
- 1⁄3 cup tender parsley leaves and stems
- 3 red or white endives, trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 small ripe pears, cored and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. Roquefort cheese
- 1⁄3 cup peeled hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Make the jelly: Bring sugar, Worcestershire, chipotles, garlic, red bell pepper, salt, and 3⁄4 cup water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Cook until peppers are tender, 4–5 minutes. Place gelatin in a bowl and cover with 2 cups cold water; let sit until soft, 5–10 minutes. Remove gelatin from water and squeeze out excess water; stir into pepper mixture. Transfer jelly to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Make the dressing: Whisk oils, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl until emulsified; set aside.
- To assemble: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook green beans until crisp-tender, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water, then drain and pat dry using paper towels. Place beans, celery leaves, parsley, endives, and pears in a bowl; add dressing, salt, and pepper and toss. Divide salad among plates. Drizzle with pepper jelly; sprinkle with cheese and hazelnuts.