Homemade lemon mayonnaise adds zesty flavor to tender, coarsely mashed potatoes in a home recipe from Canada’s Prince Edward Island. This recipe first appeared in our October 2013 issue with the article Where the Farm Meets the Sea.
- 2 lb. russet potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- Zest of 2 lemons, plus 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Boil potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water until tender, 35–40 minutes; drain and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Peel and roughly chop potatoes; place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Purée yolks, sugar, mustard, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified; pour dressing over potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, gently mash potatoes until almost smooth. Stir in half each eggs and scallions. Garnish with remaining eggs and scallions.