A simple syrup flavored with bacon and popcorn sweetens this over-the-top cocktail made with vodka, caramel liqueur, and scotch. Simultaneously salty, smoky, and sweet, it was created by astrologer/bartender Patricia Clarke Hippolyte especially for Taurus as part of our Mixstrology series.
For the Bacon-Popcorn Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup un-popped popcorn kernels, lightly toasted
- 2 slices crispy bacon
For the Cocktail
- 1⁄4 cup popcorn
- 5 slices crispy bacon
- 1⁄2 oz. bacon-popcorn simple syrup, plus more for rim
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. caramel Irish cream, such as Bailey’s Crème Caramel
- 1⁄4 oz. scotch
- Make the bacon-popcorn simple syrup: Combine sugar, popcorn kernels, and 1 cup water in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add bacon and infuse overnight before straining through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids.
- Make the cocktail: Combine popcorn and bacon in a food processor and pulse until fine; place in a bowl and set aside. Dip the rim of a rocks glass in simple syrup, then into bacon mixture; set aside. Combine vodka, caramel Irish cream, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously and strain into prepared rocks glass. Top with scotch.