What You Will Need
Roast Turkey with Celery-Root Stuffing and Giblet Gravy
Celery root brings an earthy dimension to the stuffing for this crisp-skinned roast turkey.
Yield: serves 12-14
For the Turkey and Stuffing
- 1 (12-14 lb.) turkey (giblets reserved for making stock; see Reinforced Turkey Stock recipe; optional)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 lb. white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large celery root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped sage
- 2 (1-lb.) loaves stale country bread, cut into 1/2"-pieces
For the Gravy
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups turkey or chicken stock, or 1 recipe Reinforced Turkey Stock
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb. white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-season the turkey: Heat oven to 425°. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Mix oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl; rub all over turkey inside and out. Place turkey breast side up on a roasting pan fitted with a rack; chill, uncovered, overnight.
- Make the stuffing: Melt 10 tbsp. butter in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8–10 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery root; cook until soft, 12–15 minutes. Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups stock, parsley, sage, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in bread; let cool slightly.
- Place half the stuffing inside turkey; place remaining stuffing in a baking dish and dot with 3 tbsp. butter. Melt remaining butter; brush all over turkey, and pour remaining stock into pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; continue to roast, basting turkey every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thighs reads 165°, about 3 hours. Transfer turkey to a cutting board; let sit 15 minutes before carving. Pour pan drippings into a bowl; set aside. Meanwhile, place dish of stuffing in oven and bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
- Make the gravy: Place roasting pan on stove top; heat over medium heat. Add wine; cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add reinforced stock; bring to a boil and then pour into a bowl. Melt butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10–12 minutes. Add reserved pan drippings and flour; cook until slightly thick, about 8 minutes. Stir in reserved chopped giblets from turkey stock (if using), plus cream, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Carve the turkey; serve with stuffing and gravy.