The char of grilled asparagus and the zest of fresh dill blend to make a distinctive, lively, spring-time sauce for stove-top smoked trout. Chef Ari Taymor serves this at Alma in downtown Los Angeles.
Featured in: Can a Neighborhood Restaurant Have a Tasting Menu?
- 1 cup roughly chopped dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested with a peeler
- 1 1⁄2 lb. wild trout or wild salmon fillets, skin removed
- 3 1⁄2 lb. asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup sorrel
- 2 tbsp. white soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Trout roe, for garnish