Grapefruit supremes (segments of pulp separated from the membrane) and aged balsamic vinegar brighten this classic Italian salad from author Dana Bowen. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story The Endless Evening.
- 3 tbsp. saba or aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 white grapefruit, supremed, plus 2 tbsp. juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- 1 head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup fronds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shaved pecorino
- Whisk saba, garlic, shallot, grapefruit juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified. Add half the grapefruit supremes, arugula, radicchio, fennel, half the pecorino, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Garnish with remaining grapefruit supremes and pecorino.