Breakfast Salad with Espresso Vinaigrette
Bacon and eggs get the salad treatment complete with a zingy espresso vinaigrette and toasty croutons for crunch.
Featured in: 5 Unexpectedly Delicious Ways to Cook with Coffee
- 12 tbsp. unalted butter
- 8 oz. slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch-thick lardons
- 8 oz. king trumpet mushrooms (about 4), halved
- 1 (8-oz.) loaf white country bread, torn into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. frisee, trimmed
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 large soft-boiled eggs
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and return the skillet to the heat.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the skillet, then add the mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the mushrooms, stirring, until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl and return the skillet to the heat.
- Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in the skillet, then add the bread and cook, turning, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bread to the bowl with the mushrooms and season with salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, with the espresso powder, and sugar until combined. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and mix until smooth. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and bread, add the bacon, frisee, and avocado, and toss until evenly combined. Divide the bread salad among 4 serving plates, halve each egg, and place to halves over each serving.