Chicken and Prawn Curry
Spicy chicken and prawn curry imparts a garlicky taste, finished with the herbaceousness of cilantro. Curry can be cooked in advance and stored up to 2 days before serving.
Yield: serves 6
Time: 1 hour
- 5 medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup mild curry powder
- 1 1⁄4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 1⁄4 lb. large prawns shelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh curry leaves
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- In a small food processor or mortar and pestle, add the garlic and ginger and pulse or pound until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl, then repeat the process with the onion. Transfer the onion paste to a separate small bowl. Add the tomatoes to the food processor (no need to clean out the bowl) and process well. Strain through a sieve and reserve the juices (discard the pulp). You should have about 3⁄4 cup juices.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the ginger and garlic paste and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes (reserve any remaining paste for another use). Stir in the turmeric, curry powder, chicken, and 3⁄4 teaspoon salt and let cook 5 minutes. Stir in the prawns and tomato juice and simmer 4 minutes. Stir in the cumin, ground fennel, and cardamom and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and coconut cream and bring to a simmer; let cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in the honey, cilantro, curry leaves, and remaining 3⁄4 teaspoon salt. Cover and let cook until the prawns are pink and firm, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve with a side of rice if desired.