Puerto Rican pique is a seasoned vinegar, a simple blend of chilies, garlic, and spices (with pineapple usually added for sweetness) that gets better the longer it sits.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 10 whole black pepperconrs
- 6 small chili peppers (a combination of habaneros, ajíes caballeros, muranga reds, and jalapeños), peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slice pineapple rind
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, and oregano. Place remaining ingredients in a small jar and pour the liquid over the top. Cover with the lid and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.