What You Will Need
Portuguese Salt Cod, Potato, and Egg Casserole
This rich layered casserole from chef George Mendes's cookbook My Portugal works equally as well for breakfast as dinner.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small white onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. salt cod, flaked
- 2 2 large Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 lb.), peeled and sliced into 1/16-inch-thick rounds
- 1⁄2 cup 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced, plus more to garnish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 325°. In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium. Add the garlic, onions, bay leaves, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, scrape the onions into a bowl and discard the bay leaves. Set the pot aside until cooled.
- Coat the bottom of the Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Arrange a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the pot, overlapping the slices slightly, lightly season with salt, and then top with a one-third of the onions and one-quarter of the olives. Arrange another layer of potatoes over the olives, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Top the potatoes with another one-third of the onions, one-quarter of the olives, and half the cod. Using a metal spatula, press down on the ingredients to compress them.
- Top the olives with half the egg slices, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Arrange another layer of potatoes over the eggs, press down again with a spatula, and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining onions, olives, salt cod, egg slices, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and then cover with a final layer of potatoes and press down again using a spatula. Drizzle the potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 40 minutes. Heat the broiler, uncover the pot, and cook the casserole until golden brown on top, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the top with more olives and parsley and let cool slightly before cutting into pieces.