This simple, soothing soup from Lisbon resident Olivia Ferreira, which she taught to author Kitty Greenwald, is made richer with the addition of Portuguese-style chouriço, available online from the domestic brand Michael’s or by visiting Portugalia Marketplace in Fall River, Massachusetts. This sausage is less cured than firmer Spanish-style chorizo; to ensure that the meat holds together in rounds, slice the sausage before removing its casing. Serve it hot with crusty papo secos, or Portuguese rolls.
Featured in: "Caldo Verde: A Soup Full of Life."
- 1 lb. collard greens, cleaned, thick stems discarded
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced ½ in. thick
- 2 medium yellow onions, ends removed and halved
- 2 tsp. plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- One 5-in. link Portuguese chouriço, sliced into ¼-inch-thick coins
- Kosher salt
Continue to Next Story