Seafood Soup with Ginger and Yuzu Kosho
This seafood soup's broth is flavored with red yuzu kosho, a Japanese condiment made from citrus, yuzu, and chiles, adding a round, tart flavor that is hard to replace.
Yield: serves 6
Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
For the broth
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts very thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced, rinsed and dried
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed, tender bulb parts very thinly sliced
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice red chile pepper
- 1 small strip lime zest
- 1 tsp. tsp. red yuzu kosho
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 5 cups chicken, fish, or vegetable broth
- Pinch of sugar
For the fish and vegetables
- 24 mussels, scrubbed
- 1 1⁄2 lb. skinless cod fillet, or other firm white fish
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 6 large, head-on shrimp, or substitute peeled
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, each cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 2 large white or brown mushrooms such as cremini, trimmed and thinly sliced (preferably with a mandoline)
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced, rinsed in cold water and strained
- 1⁄2 sweet potato (cut crosswise), peeled and thinly sliced (preferably with a mandoline)
- 1 handful baby spinach
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Chopped cilantro or seaweed flakes, for serving (optional)
- Make the broth: Warm the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat. Stir in the scallions, garlic, shallot, lemongrass, ginger, chile, and lime zest; season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the yuzu kosho, then the wine. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Add the prepared broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar and taste and adjust the salt as needed. Remove the large pieces of garlic. Broth can be chilled for 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
- Make the fish and vegetables: Bring the broth to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the mussels. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, until the shrimp are pink and the mussels open, 2 minutes (discard any mussels that don't). Remove the pot from the burner.
- Divide the fish, vegetables, and broth between 6 shallow bowls. Squeeze with lime juice and sprinkle with cilantro or seaweed, or serve with the garnishes on the side.