Baked Eggs with Feta
This flavorful blending of feta, eggs, and tomatoes, though appreciated in Greece, is Bulgarian in origin.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb. firm feta
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil into each of 4 small gratin dishes (or other ovenproof dishes). Divide sliced tomato between gratin dishes.
- Cut feta into 8 slices and arrange 2 slices on top of tomatoes in each dish. Gently break an egg into each dish, season with paprika and with salt and pepper to taste, and bake until eggs set, 20–25 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh oregano leaves if desired.