Thyme and white wine bring out the sweet flavor of mussels in these popular cicheti. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Dana Bowen’s story Good and Plenty.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 30 mussels, steamed open
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1⁄3 cup bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp. thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- Heat broiler to high. Remove and discard top shells from mussels; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle wine and oil over mussels; mix Parmesan, bread crumbs, butter, thyme, and salt and pepper, and divide among mussels. Broil until stuffing is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Serve warm, drizzled with pan juices and topped with tomatoes.