Paired with bread and olive oil, this nut-and-spice mix is a perfect companion to cocktails.
Yield: makes 2 Cups
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup coriander seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup cumin seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 tsp. black peppercorns, crushed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread ¾ cup hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Wrap the hot nuts in a kitchen towel and let rest for about 5 minutes. When they have cooled slightly, vigorously rub the nuts in the towel to loosen the skins, peel them completely, and put them into the bowl of a food processor.
- Put ½ cup sesame seeds into a small skillet over medium heat and toast until lightly golden, about 1 minute; then add toasted seeds to the food processor bowl with the hazelnuts. In the same pan, toast ½ cup coriander seeds and ¼ cup cumin seeds until they are fragrant and begin to color, about 2 minutes; add to nut mixture and let cool completely. When the mixture has cooled, add ½ teaspoon crushed black peppercorns to the processor bowl and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. To serve, set out bowls of extra-virgin olive oil and baguette slices for dipping.