Grilled Romaine Lettuce Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon
Fresh heads of romaine lettuce are split down the middle, grilled until charred and smoky, and then topped with blue cheese and bacon for this satisfying salad. Featured in: California Eternal
What You Will Need
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 5 heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, rinsed and dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat bacon in a 12″ skillet over medium heat, and cook, turning once, until crisp and fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate, reserving 2 tbsp. drippings, and let cool; crumble and set aside. Transfer reserved drippings to a bowl, and add oil, vinegar, and Worcestershire; whisk until smooth, and set dressing aside.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Working in batches, if necessary, place romaine halves cut-side down on grill, and cook, turning once, until charred and slightly wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer lettuce cut-side up to a serving platter, and season with salt and pepper; drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with reserved bacon and blue cheese.