Iced Sorrel Soup
Sorrels are found in home gardens all over Latvia.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. fresh sorrel, stems discarded (about 8 cups leaves)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Coarsely chop sorrel, then place in a medium saucepan with cucumber, garlic, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer until cucumber is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Cool soup slightly, then puree in a food processor until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Transfer soup to a bowl, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Adjust seasoning again, if necessary, and serve garnished with julienned sorrel frozen in ice cubes.