Israeli Schnitzel Sandwich
Doused in summery pesto and roasted red pepper chimichurri, this breaded chicken cutlet sandwich is based on one served at Schnitzi in Brooklyn, New York.
Yield: serves 4
For the Pesto and Red Chimichurri
- 6 1⁄2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsely
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Chicken Schitzel
- 4 cups flour
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup crushed red chile flakes
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) chicken cutlets
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 (12-inch) French baguettes, split
- Sweet chili sauce, to taste
- 4 cups loosely packed shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced dill pickles
- Make the pesto: Combine basil, 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. oil, nuts, half the garlic, in a food processor and process until smooth; season to taste and transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the chimichurri: Clean food processor, and add remaining 1⁄2 cup oil, peppers, white vinegar, 1 1⁄2 tbsp. salt, wine vinegar, paprika, oregano, chile flakes, pepper, cumin, 3 cloves garlic, parsley, and 1⁄4 cup water. Process until smooth; transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the schnitzel: Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs mixed with chile flakes in three separate shallow dishes; season flour and chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, coat cutlets with flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs, then dredge in bread crumb mixture. Set aside.
- Cook schnitzel and onions: Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add cutlets and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Once all cutlets are cooked, add half the onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft and caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches: Place three cutlets on bottom half of each baguette, and cover with sauces, to taste. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes, remaining raw onions, cooked onions, and pickles, and cover with top half of baguette.