This dish may have been named for an ascetic 19th-century religious zealot who enjoyed it on the sly.
- 20 sprat filets (2 3.5-oz. cans)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 medium boiling potatoes, peeled
- 2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp. fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup heavy cream
Variation—Christer Larsson, chef-owner of Christer's restaurant in Manhattan, suggests making this dish with sauteed potatoes for a change of pace. Begin as in step 1 above, then cut the potatoes as in step 3 above. Saute potatoes in oil over medium-high heat until golden, about 15 minutes. Assemble and bake as in steps 3 and 4 above.