Lobster and Celery Root Salad
James Beard noted that “Seafood is a natural for the composed salad” in James Beard’s Shellfish. He grew up in Oregon eating dungeness crab—but became fond of lobster, and offered many recipes for it. This is our adaptation of one of his best.
For the Dressing
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped capers
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice
For the Salad
- 2 cups cooked lobster, chopped
- 1 cup peeled, julienned celery root
- 4 cups mixed greens (such as butter lettuce, arugula, and endive)
- 2-4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- Combine the mayonnaise, chopped egg, capers, and parsley in a small bowl. Mix well, then season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lobster and celery root. Add enough of the dressing to thoroughly coat the lobster mixture, then mix gently. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide greens between 4 small plates, top with lobster mixture, garnish with quartered eggs, and serve with extra dressing on the side.