Sausage with Peppers and Onions
We love Italian sausage piled high with peppers and onions on a hard roll.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 6-8 small onions, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 bell peppers
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sweet Italian sausage
- Hard rolls (optional)
- Scrambled eggs (optional)
- Cut onions in half crosswise, and set aside. Thinly slice garlic, and set aside. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, discard stem and seeds, slice lengthwise into medium-wide strips, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, cut side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, then turn and brown other side, about 3 minutes longer. Add garlic, sauté until just beginning to color, then add peppers and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until peppers begin to brown, 5–10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium, and cook until onions and peppers are soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with cooked sweet Italian sausage, hard rolls or scrambled eggs, if you like.